(FB 1553036278 Timestamp)
HISTORICAL MEANS OF CAPITAL PUNISHMENT
Historically we have used these forms of capital punishment.
- Exposure (babies, children)
- Drowning. (mostly women)
- Cord Strangulation (by hand, mostly women).
- Short Drop Hanging (Strangulation) (criminal men)
- Long Drop Hanging (Neck breaking) (men and women)
- Beheading (axe, sword, guillotine)(upper classes)
- Burning, Impaling, Crucifiction, Caging. (Theater)
And some others. But for the past thousand years, mostly hanging.
Firing squad is useful in military courts because a large number of men can be used, but most of the guns loaded with blanks. This means no one actually knows who killed the solider and therefore they cannot be retaliated against. The purpose of this technique is anonymity and preservation of unit cohesion.